Filing for bankruptcy is undoubtedly one of the toughest decisions that an individual will make. Those who file for bankruptcy are not alone. Prior to actually filing the paperwork for chapter 7 or chapter 13 bankruptcy, the proper steps should be taken. Bankruptcy is not something that should, or can, be done on a whim. One of the first steps is finding the right bankruptcy attorney in Sarasota, FL to turn to in your time of need.
Galarza Law Firm is Sarasota’s leading bankruptcy law firm with almost 30 years of experience. As bankruptcy law can be quite difficult to navigate without a thorough knowledge of law, many of our clients run into similar problems. Having dealt with thousands of bankruptcy cases, we have compiled a list of to-do’s before filing for bankruptcy:
- Find and speak with an experienced bankruptcy attorney early on in the process.
- Write out every monthly expense.
- File your taxes properly.
- Document all income and expenses for 6-8 months prior to filing for bankruptcy.
- Keep each pay stub for physical documentation of income.
- Cash advances on credit cards can lead to fraud charges.
- Cut up your credit card. Stop using these cards months before you file for bankruptcy.
- Transferring money and assets to other people is 100% not allowed.
- Do not borrow from your 401K, there are bankruptcy exemptions to protect your retirement funds.
- Be HONEST and disclose ALL income, expenses and assets. Hiding assets is NOT allowed (see #8) and if you are caught doing so, your bankruptcy filing will be thrown out of court.
As we have said, filing for bankruptcy can be very tricky. Getting help from expert and experienced bankruptcy attorneys will ensure that your bankruptcy filing will be correct. Help is available. Call Galarza Law Firm for a free consultation.